The media loves a good story and, right now, the economy is the best story in town. It keeps us glued to our TV’s – a place advertisers just love us to be. Don’t believe everything you hear. It’s not all doom and gloom. And even in harsh economic times, abundance is still available – in ways, perhaps you have never thought of before. Here are some tips to help you survive the bad news.
1. Refuse to buy in to the fear (media, newspapers, naysayers) Bad news sells. Good news is considered dull and unworthy of reporting. Have you noticed how the stock market reacts to even the slightest rumor? Thoughts are powerful! Be aware of what you are contributing to that power.
2. Be grateful for anything and everything. I know, sometimes it seems impossible and sounds like Pollyanna playing the “glad game”. She was absolutely right. Open your eyes to what others are experiencing. Chances are there are a lot of other people out there who would love to trade places with you. Have you ever considered that? Can you see, hear, walk, and talk? Even with aches and pains, are you physically in pretty good shape? Do you have a home, a family? A lot of people are not so well off. When was the last time you noticed the natural world – sunshine or a snowflake, a bird or a butterfly, or a flower on the street or in your own garden? These are gifts too, you know. Be grateful about everything you can think of.
3. Be generous. Yes, people are cranky these days. They might push in front of you in line or cut you off in traffic. Some stranger might be rude to you. Consider that they, just like you, are doing the best they can. Perhaps they have a lot on their minds. Whatever, don’t sweat the small stuff and just let it go. Next time you have change at the grocery store; drop it in the charity bucket at the checkout. Send something to an outreach group. Donate rather than sell on eBay. Having a grateful heart and a generous spirit is the quickest way to attract abundance in your own life.
4. Get Moving! Nobody is going to bail you out, unless you are a bank or Wall Street Get creative and think outside the box. There are solutions all around you. They will appear when you relax and lighten up.
5. Stay away from the Moaners and Groaners. You know who they are. The ones that like to sit around and complain and focus on all the ills of the world. They are energy vampires. Get them out of your life. Turn off the TV News, the violent films, the violent music.
6. Get with the Movers and the Shakers – the people you know that have goals and plans to achieve those goals. If you don’t know any, find some! Be very careful who you spend your precious time with. Your time is your life. Spend it wisely.
7. Build your network of helpers – aka already successful people. No one can succeed without the help of others. It is OK to ask for help. Don’t be shy. Push through the fear. People actually like helping other people. You will be surprised.
8. Listen to your dreams. That’s your intuition speaking. Whatever you dream can be made into reality. What is it that you have always wanted to be or do? Now is the time. Now is your chance. Take it. Have you ever heard the phrase, “If your dreams don’t scare you, they are not your dreams.”? Push through that fear and take the chance.
9. Keep Trying. Very few people are successful the first time they try something new. Don’t stop trying until you get what you want. Going out on a limb is where all the fruit is!
10. Expect and recognize even the smallest blessings every day. As you consciously raise your awareness of the “little things” you will see more and the blessings will get bigger and bigger.
There are a lot of good things happening in the world. We rarely hear about the good people in the world, but they are out there in great numbers. Just because its not on the front page, doesn’t mean that peace isn’t in progress and prosperity isn’t on its way back.
My grandfather gave me the best advice: “Believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear”. I’ve tried to remember that advice and have taught it to my children as well. It’s done us in good stead. It will do you in good stead too. I wish you abundance and blessings.